Marqués de Cáceres<br />2014 Rioja Reserva<br>Spain

Marqués de Cáceres
2014 Rioja Reserva

Regular price
$34.00 per Bottle
Sale price
Regular price
per bottle
Sold out
Unit price

TYPE Dry - Red
REGION Rioja | Spain
GRAPES Red Blend | Tempranillo | Garnacha Tinta | Graciano
97 points, Wine Review Online |
97 points, Sommelier Challenge International Wine & Spirits Competition |
95-100 points, Restaurant Wine |
93 points, Washington Wine Blog |
93 points, Tim Atkin MW |
92 points, Tim Atkin MW |
92 points, James Suckling |
90 points, Wine Enthusiast |
90 points, Vinous |
About the Wine
Critic Reviews
97 points, Sommelier Challenge International Wine & Spirits Competition

97 points, Wine Review Online
“Richly layered and smooth, the reserve from Marqués de Cáceres in this vintage is a beautiful example of Rioja at its best. Complex and weighty, it delivers a burst of dark fruit on the front of the palate, with an expansive middle and exceptional length on the finish. The oak sits in the background and doesn’t dominate. With firm tannins and exquisite balance, this is a Rioja to cellar for another 10 to 15 years for anyone patient enough to wait. A Platinum Award winner at the 2019 Sommelier Challenge International Wine & Spirits Competition.”

95-100 points, Restaurant Wine
“The 2014 Reserva is first rate: supple, full bodied, and intensely flavored (red currant, sour cherry, tobacco, cedar, toasty oak), it is rich, well balanced, and very long on the finish. Exceptional: can be aged further. 85% Tempranillo, 10% Garnacha Tinta, 5% Graciano; 85% Rioja Alta, 15% Rioja Alavesa. Aged 20 months in French oak barrels, 33% new. EXCEPTIONAL”

93 points, Tim Atkin MW
“Year in year out, this Reserva blend of Tempranillo with 10% Garnacha and 5% Graciano delivers the goods. Youthful, scented and deeply coloured, with ageing only in French oak, it has focus and intensity with lots of dark berry fruit and a sheen of vanilla spice. 2019-24.”

93 points, Washington Wine Blog
“The 2014 ‘Reserva’ by Marques de Caceres is another outstanding ‘Reserva’ bottling from this storied house in the La Rioja region. The wine was largely sourced from the Rioja Alta (85%) region with the remainder from the and Rioja Alavesa (15%), as the vineyards were cropped at roughly 2.6. tons an acre. This wine was aged for 20 months in French oak prior to bottling and is a beautiful blend of 85% Tempranillo with 10% Garnacha and 5% Graciano. On the nose this takes on deep black plum with shades of cinnamon infused red cherry and blood orange zest that all are nicely woven together in the glass. The soft texture here is gorgeous, as the wine beautifully coats the mid-palate. Ripe red fruits dance with minerals, orange zest and shades of clove and cardamon in this expressive ‘Reserva.’ A memorable effort, while this is enticing now, the wine has many years to come.”

92 points, James Suckling
“A wealth of ripe dark plums and cherries on offer here with earthy nuances, too. The palate has a very succulent, juicy and fresh feel with plenty of very juicy, rich and succulent fruit to close. Drink now.”

92 points, Tim Atkin MW
“The Reserva is solely sourced from higher altitude vineyards over 30 years of age. Deeply coloured and intense, with serious, ageworthy tannins, plenty of aromatic, spicy oak and the acidity and backbone to age well in bottle.”

90 points, Vinous
“Vivid ruby-red. Oak-spiced red fruit aromas are complicated by suggestions of cured tobacco and roasted coffee, and a peppery nuance adds lift. Sweet and supple on the palate, offering sweet red fruit and vanilla flavors and a touch of smokiness. Deepens with air, picking up a bitter chocolate quality that builds on the long, gently tannic finish. I like the blend of traditional and modern qualities here.”

90 points, Wine Enthusiast
“A deep nose with solid berry aromas, oak and spice is what you’d expect from a reserva from this reliable bodega. Full tannins make for a rubbing mouthfeel, while this tastes of berry fruit and distant chocolate. Savory flavors take over on a heavy, tannic finish. Drink through 2024.”
About The Winery
In 1970, Enrique Forner founded Marqués de Cáceres Unión Vitivinícola S.A., a historic alliance of growers in the village of Cenicero in the Rioja Alta subregion of Rioja. The enterprising Forner family has been devoted to the wine trade for five generations. Their search for the best vine growers and vineyards in Rioja and the introduction of a Bordeaux concept revolutionized the production and business model of the region. They work with one single objective: producing the highest quality wines. Today this obsession continues to be the leitmotif of Cristina Forner, the fifth generation of this distinguished wine family.